[kde-guidelines] Possible guidelines for buttons with menus

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Aug 5 13:05:31 UTC 2013

Am Montag, 5. August 2013, 13:43:54 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> Of course a split button should never be the only way to do something.
> However, I think they can be a good compromise between menu entry and
> toolbar button, or a shortcut.
A toolbar is used for fast access to frequently used function and not to
present all features. Menu buttons are the opposite to this functionality. In
respect to your kmail example: extra functions are moved to main menu (where
they already should be available too), and a new contact would be created by
Alt+N+C, or the like.

But another argument: How do you provide accessibility? I guess the button can
be reached by tab (if it's not a toolbar button, of course), and then cursor
down invokes the menu? And again cursor down goes through the items, with
enter to execute the function? Does it work with a screen reader?