[kde-guidelines] Possible guidelines for buttons with menus

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Aug 5 08:57:00 UTC 2013

Am Montag, 5. August 2013, 10:40:50 schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
> > But then it has the (in my opinion more relevant) drawback that the
> > interaction and available features are not apparent to the user.
>
> That is true for delayed menu buttons, but not for menu-only buttons: there
> is a down arrow on the right of the button, which I believe makes it clear
> that this button is going to bring up a menu. Do you think it is still
> confusing?
It's not confusing that there is something (maybe novices do not understand it
intuitively), but why should funtions be hidden? I cannot imagine any use case
where menu buttons are really neccessary (okay: useful). They are always
replaceable by a combination of simple controls.

>Heiko and Thomas: Do you think segmented buttons would be a good addition to
>our recommended controls?
It would be, perhaps, if we could recommend when it should be used and when
not.