[kde-guidelines] Possible guidelines for buttons with menus

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Fri Aug 2 15:02:44 UTC 2013

Am Freitag, 2. August 2013, 16:08:11 schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
> What should we suggest to developers using this feature?

I don't like menu buttons at all. It actually combines a dropdown control with
an "execute" button. The combination has the advantage of a comprehensive
layout, perhaps a nice design, and it makes a little sense to hide the
dropdown if most items are used very rarely (which should rather be reflected
in the workflow or other controls/layout).
But then it has the (in my opinion more relevant) drawback that the
interaction and available features are not apparent to the user. One has to
click the button to discover the provided options - which interferes with the
actual execution. And users cannot be sure whether or not the selection of an
item does execute the function or if it just selects the item. It's getitng
worse with delayed interaction. What happens on premature drop down click?
E.g. the menu does open after 2s but I did wait for 1s only. There is no clue
for the user to know how this particular control works.