[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Alignment

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Fri Aug 2 13:12:20 UTC 2013

Le mardi 30 juillet 2013 14:04:12 Heiko Tietze a écrit :
> As discussed recently the appearance aspects of some controls are similar,
> and we decided to duplicate the content. I think we should keep track as
> well of the presentation layer, in particular of the alignment page. I
> reviewed the content and moved parts regarding check boxes (and radio
> buttons) to the respective pages, and the rest together with some new
> bullets into a new page.
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Alignment
>
> The page is not referenced yet but should replace Form_Label_Alignment if
> you agree. I marked one image and one advice for discussion. Because we
> have a good basis of examples right now it might be better to read the wiki
> than the following text.

Regarding:

>> Align a group of widgets to the left. This makes use of space more
>> efficiently.
>>
>> http://techbase.kde.org/images.techbase/8/84/Alignment_kde4.png
>> GOOD: KDE4 form alignment
> Remark: Example seems to be justified rather than left aligned

I think the message was to align the label column to the left, some controls
in the control column expand horizontally to occupy all remaining space. A
solution could be to show different controls in the example? For example,
combo boxes do not expand horizontally.

Regarding:

>> The alignment of groups of widgets is independent, and so you may have
>> different sized groups with different "centered" lines. A group of widgets
>> consists of widgets within some type of natural separation such as a group
>> box or separator bar.
>>
>> http://techbase.kde.org/images.techbase/6/61/Multiple_groups.png
> Remark: Probably a matter of discussion

I very much agree this should be discussed, I am not happy with the current
recommendation, which I believe was written this way because Qt does not
provide an easy way to vertically align controls across groups (in other
words: the first 3 layouts you drew in
http://techbase.kde.org/images.techbase/8/82/Discussion.png are difficult to
achieve with Qt)

This is the reason I once created ColumnResizer [1], but has we were looking
at it during Akademy, I felt less assured my new versions were better than
what they replaced. Difficult topic.

Aurélien

[1]: http://agateau.com/2011/01/28/clean-up-your-layouts-with-columnresizer/