[kde-guidelines] Reviving work on KDE HIG

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Sat Jan 28 12:58:51 UTC 2012

I think restarting KDE HIG work sounds like a good idea. However, I
think we need a different strategy in our approach. I've been involved
in two iterations of the KDE HIG. We started strong, but then quickly
ran out of steam because the project became too big. There was too
much work for 3-4 people to do within a reasonable amount of time. Any
ideas?

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org> wrote:
> Hi HIG people,
> I just read an - older - article about KDE usability problems on
> datamation by Bruce Byfield
> (http://www.datamation.com/open-source/kde-4.7-long-term-vision-ongoing-my
> opia-3.html ) which concludes with a section "Looking for Balanced
> Guidelines", wherein Bruce claims that "too loose a set of common
> interface principles is preventing KDE from improving its users'
> experience in quick and effective ways."
> I'd say we should see this as a call to action to revive the HIG project
> again.
> Since I will soon start working on HIGs for Plasma Active, this would be
> the perfect time to expand the desktop HIGs as well so that both
> Workspaces are equally well equipped with guidelines.
> So, who would be willing to work on the HIGs again?
> Cheers,
> Thomas

Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project