[kde-guidelines] [Kde-cvs-announce] KDE4 Human Interface Guidelines Survey

Thierry Vignaud tvignaud at mandriva.com
Wed May 17 15:16:53 CEST 2006

Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste at kde.org> writes:

> The KDE HCI Working Group is currently working towards create Human
> Interface Guidelines for KDE4. We are gathering feedback from
> developers in order to create better guidelines which are concise
> and easy to follow.
>
> URL of survey:
> http://freeonlinesurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=h6ulgyuuzozpwnz191835
>
> The survey will be open from May 15 to May 30.  Thank you for your
> participation, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

<warning> the following is *not* a troll! :-) </warning>

I'm not a Qt/KDE developer, I only participated in KDE as a
translator.

I also work for Mandriva (which installs KDE by default though quite a
lot of other WMs are provided) as a developer. There i develop
configuration tools in Gtk+.

Hence I think I won't participate in this survey.

However I think we should keep a small distance between KDE & GNOME
guidelines for desktop & application consistency[0], the same way
freedesktop.org is standardizing and improving consistency across the
desktop(s).

This consistency should be kept whatever are the standardizations &
user-friendly improvements.

Just my cents.

See you.

[0] From what i understand, GNOME's HIG has moved toward KDE
    guidelines (eg: frame deprecation and the like) regarding GUI
    consistency [1].

[1] Note that desktop guidelines consistency may not have been the
    reason of this move. The odds're high it was just done in order to
    improve interface understanding by end users