[kde-guidelines] Re: widget style cleanup

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sun Sep 12 20:02:55 CEST 2004

We're having yet another widget-style discussion...

On Sunday 12 September 2004 16:45, Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Sunday 12 September 2004 02:50, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> > - Move Plastik from kdeartwork to kdelibs in preparation for KDE 4.0
>
> And make it default. ;-) Honestly, I heard at aKademy about a script which
> was said to help to produce screenshots of applications for all languages.

Right, I think Lauri knows the details about that. Even if there is no
technical problems with this, it's still the usability aspect of consistency
which applies: We can't switch styles for each minor release. Chances are big
we'll switch in KDE 4 again, anyway(consider the long time until KDE 4 is
actually released).

This is what I think: Widget styles is not something one change like
underwear. If people want good defaults, then make sure it gets properly done
when the decision making is on the table. That's when the chance is here.

Selecting widget themes is difficult; it involves many aspects, so I guess the
CIG will have a section on that. One complain Keramik have had is it's "too
elaborated" and "big" -- emphasizing simplicity for the thing one will see
everyday during a major release, wouldn't hurt.

Cheers,

		Frans