[kde-guidelines] CVS

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Fri Oct 29 23:44:39 CEST 2004

On Friday 29 October 2004 04.09, Frans Englich wrote:

> So.. I'm a little bit confused here. I see some different combinations: 1)
> Lauri slept on the meeting; 2) Aaron was drunk when he wrote that. Or
> perhaps vice versa? Or both options for both of you? :)))

Possibly both or vice versa :)

In fact, I didn't understand the reasoning then either, I just haven't
remembered to raise the question.  Thomas explanation seems to explain it
sufficiently, and I agree that editing previous versions once a new version
is finalised is unlikely to happen, so we could simply turn off
auto-generation of those older versions (if there is any auto-generation
going on), move the last generated version to a subdirectory named for the
version and provide links to them.

> > This one is non-negotiable and yes
> >
> > we took your input
>
> So, for how long will it be we vs Frans? Or how should I interpret it? I
> disagree with you, you disagree with me, but for whatever reason you have
> the right to overrule me? In what other cases doesn't developers wait for
> consensus before pulling decisions?

Relax,  there was consensus.  Present for the discussion were myself, Thomas,
Ellen, and Jan - and Ellen and Jan are the designated maintainers who will be
needing to manage the source files.

It wasn't "we vs Frans", it was "all in one file vs any kind of multi file
sources".  The maintainers are the ones who will be working in the sources,
so until and unless they find it unmanageable, the point is moot.   At that
point, unless there is a really compelling reason to change from standard KDE
procedures, then we won't.  It's non negotiable because it's completely and
utterly not relevant to the issue to be discussed.

> (the topic in question is a non-issue, but if future contributors which are
> not hard-skinned like me, are to hear that, they probably won't stay long.
> And I neither like it.)

I'm rarely that direct.  I was this time, because I know you are hard skinned,
and to cut off this exact discussion we're having.  It *is* the way KDE does
things, like it or not, and it seems odd to me that you would fight so hard
to deviate from standard KDE procedure on a project dedicated to documenting
and augmenting exactly that: standard KDE procedures.  And futhermore, in
files that you won't be editing (everyone *got* that right? this discussion
is bikeshedding technical details that in reality don't effect anyone but
Ellen and Jan, and so they're the people who  I am soliciting opinions from
when it comes to them.)

The discussion I want to be having now, is, is everyone happy with the
directory structure and the URL's that the directory structure will naturally
create, and if not, why not.

As for non-negotiable, sometimes things just are that way.  KDE is written in
C++, and uses Qt as a toolkit.  If you want to write KDE apps in another
language, you need bindings to the toolkit.  The default language is US
English, even if it's not your default language.  Docs are written in
DocBook, the default icon set is SVG, every app should have a Help Menu..
there's a lot of non-negotiable things in KDE.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org