[kde-guidelines] CVS

zander at kde.org zander at kde.org
Fri Oct 29 09:18:57 CEST 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 02:09:09AM +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Thursday 28 October 2004 23:43, Lauri Watts wrote:
> > If HEAD is the current version of guidelines, and guidelines by their
> > nature, supercede previous versions, why would someone want to look at
> > older versions?  I am editing this mail backwards, so "I already asked this
> > later" heh, but please do explain.
> Aaron wrote in the summary of the aKademy meeting:
> "we expect them to be actively maintained and developed over time, however,
> and therefore they will be versioned much as we do with our software
> including having both a stable and a devel (HEAD) branch in CVS for these
> guidelines."
>
> So.. I'm a little bit confused here.

I think you are thinking in svn WAAY to much already; branhes to most means,
well, branches. Not directories.
if at some point were are at svn, then I think a suggestion like yours is
fine; have a complete duplicate tree (using svn copy or something) under a
version number sounds like the way to go.  But as I said in a former post
if the HEAD version is no where near finished; then why argue about where
the BRANCH version goes?  You need a released HEAD in order to create a
BRANCH, after all :-)
Notice that svn allows you to move directories around quite cheaply; so this
planning ahead is in no way a permanent decision if svn is really coming
around. (news that is ehm, 'new' to me ;)

The post from Aaron said versioning; and I believe you have taken that a bit
over the top.  There is no intention to release the guidelines at each KDE
release, it is more going to be at each major KDE release.  I doubt much work
will be done, exept clarifying language, in older versions.

> > we took your input
>
> So, for how long will it be we vs Frans? Or how should I interpret it? I
> disagree with you, you disagree with me, but for whatever reason you have the
> right to overrule me? In what other cases doesn't developers wait for
> consensus before pulling decisions?

There is no we vs you;  only in your mind.
Lauri happens to have a lot more experience in this field then you do and
basically; she has a lot better trackrecord on doing the things we all
think are good for KDE, whereas you give us all the impression you just
feel your opinion is what it should be.  Lots of your suggestions have been
used, and we thank you for thinking along!  Really!

Don't go consperacy theories here;  your idea just was not good enough.
On merit alone.
Ah; and before you start aguing that merit (I know you want to reach for
the reply by now :)  Don't.

Cheers!  And keep your cool :)

--
Thomas Zander