[kde-guidelines] Licenses

zander at kde.org zander at kde.org
Mon Oct 4 20:50:09 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 12:23:43PM -0600, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> On October 3, 2004 15:33, Lauri Watts wrote:
> > As far as copyright goes, I guess you and I are both on the same page
> > there. I would suggest all copyright holders as well as being listed in the
> > front matter as normal, are noted on a section by section basis (as a
> > comment, if not visible, it's fairly easy to make it visible too) just for
> > future management purposes.
>
> may i suggest that we assign all copyrights to KDE e.V.? we can have an
> authors page, but if the e.V. owns the copyrights then it becomes much easier
> to manage the content as people come and go (as is the natural and organic
> process in Open Source). there is precedent to this with KDE e.V. holding
> copyrights to web sites and trademarks on "KDE" and its marks.

Note that it is also possible to make a contract between author and kde e.v.
(which is needed in case of copyright assignment as you propose as well)
and have shared copyright.
This means both the author and kde e.v. get to publish and republish and
relicense the content without problems and without having to question the
other.

This 'trick' allows someone (like Relevantive for example) to publish the
content they created under a different licence after they submitted it to KDE
previously.  Like submitting it to Gnome, or a magazine for example.

--
Thomas Zander