[kde-guidelines] Licenses

Aaron Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 4 20:20:44 CEST 2004

On October 3, 2004 15:10, Frans Englich wrote:
> But what I doubt is code listings, because
> I don't think it adds anything.

our target audience is primarily developers and secondarily people in the KDE
usability project.

so, why do we have code listings in the KDE API documentation? because
sometimes that's the easiest way to show how to do something. ditto for in
the guidelines. source code is well understood by developers, and giving them
multiple ways to see and understand the guidelines is a good thing.

it's also a very well known fact that the majority of developers, given the
choice between copy and pasting code that works from somewhere else and
writing it from scratch, will copy and paste. by providing a code snippets it
allows us to create a nice base from which people can work from when it comes
to usability by exploiting this behaviour.

and i don't think it's up to the "usability people" to provide (all) the code
snippets. this is where the developers can help. it would be very cool if a
developer reads the guidelines, implements one of the recommendations in her
program and decides to contribute a nice code-example.

--
Aaron J. Seigo