***SPAM*** Re: [kde-guidelines] Docs finally in CVS

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Mon Dec 13 16:03:07 CET 2004

On Monday 13 December 2004 14:43, Frans Englich wrote:

> > - Shouldn't we mark guimenus, guimenuitems and possibly actions in a
> > special way (also make them bold)? I know that's not the case in the KDE
> > docs, but I think it would be useful.
>
> Yes, I also think it's useful, and it should always be done. If a certain
> visual appearance is of interest, the stylesheets should be changed(not
> excluding markup, as some think). Here's a snippet from
> www/areas/usability/hig/src/input.xml;

> should not be used for that, but instead a <guimenuitem>Close All
> Views</guimenuitem> in the <guimenu>View</guimenu> menu, should be
> used.</para>

This is about the rendering, not the markup.  These items are already being
marked up correctly, but the rendering difference it makes is very subtle,
and will be made more obvious.

> FYI, the <accel> tag, for marking shortcuts:
> <guimenuitem>C<accel>u</accel>t</guimenuitem>
> has no default rendering(at least vanilla Docbook), so it has to be
> customized.

That'd be why there is stylesheet handling for it.

This stuff has been handled for *years* in the stylesheets.  We don't *use*
the accel in KDE documentation any longer because it's a nightmare to keep up
to date and it's no use if it's not up to date.  But this is a quite
different case, and using it here is appropriate.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org