ocr program

tringalinvent at libero.it tringalinvent at libero.it
Mon Dec 11 14:06:05 UTC 2017

Hello everybody,
a few months ago I was looking for a OCR gui that could offer three different kinds of output: plain text, formatted HTML, and PDF. Since I was not able to find one, I wrote a GUI for both Tesseract and Cuneiform (which is quite better in formatting recognition than Tesseract). The code is published on github:
https://github.com/zorbaproject/kocr

It is based on libpoppler and QPDfWriter for reading and writing PDFs. It's not rich of features, it just has what my girlfriend needed when she asked me about a GUI for OCR.

I believe this code could be integrated into Skanlite or Okular, or maybe become a Kipi plugin for Gwenview. After all, there is no official GUI in KDE for optical character recognition engines.

I've also built packages for Windows and Debian (https://github.com/zorbaproject/kocr/releases/tag/v0.3), this could be useful to understand how the program is designed to work in particular on Windows. The README.md file contains a section called "How to use Kocr", which should give you an idea of the workflow.

Just to be clear, I'm not a full time programmer (I'm a journalist), and I don't have time to keep working on this program. I'm releasing this code to let other programmers not have to start from scratch while building a OCR program for KDE. I'll be happy to help making this program part of KDE, but I don't have a lot of spare time so I don't know how much I'll be able to help. For sure, I'll try to reply to your questions as soon as I can.

Luca Tringali