[Kde-graphics-devel] KSnapshot marker and pen function

Gregor Mi codestruct at posteo.org
Sun Nov 2 15:22:34 UTC 2014

Hi Márton,

I understand your issue with productivity. I am currently working on it
from a similar direction.

Background: I use greenshot (http://getgreenshot.org/) on Windows 7
which is an open source tool and has a very good built-in image editor
with specific functions for editing screenshots. So from my point of
view, even the Windows Snipping tool has a huge lack of productivity. ;-)

So I figured that what is needed first, is an stand-alone image editor
component which supports common editing and annotation tasks that occur
when dealing with screenshots. So I started a project called
"kreenshot-editor". On the current website
feinstaub.github.io/kreenshot-editor you can find links to the source
code and how to build and run it. There is also a list of features which
also include your suggested pen and marker (here called "highlight") and
undo/redo.

kreenshot-editor has a command line interface, so that it can be easily
integrated in the SendTo menu of ksnapshot when it is ready.

Outlook: the image editor component is designed as QWidget so in
long-term this could even be integrated in ksnapshot in case the project
turns out to be useful for more people (the goal here must be that the
editor component can be embedded with minimal code on ksnapshot side).

> and I like copy pasting the screenshots directly to my e-mail
application. I do not want to have complex drawing functions just a pen,
a marker, place text and a rubber tool.

kreenshot-editor already supports copy to clipboard (menu and shortcut).
So your workflow could be take 1) screenshot with ksnapshot, 2) SendTo
kreenshot-editor, 3) edit and 4) Copy to clipboard.

So if you are interested in the kreenshot-editor project (which uses
QGraphicsView, QGraphicsScene, QGraphicsItem and also anti-alias), try
it out and give feedback. :-)

Best regards

Gregor