[Kde-graphics-devel] Review Request 110962: Switch to an external LibRaw

Rolf Eike Beer kde at opensource.sf-tec.de
Wed Jun 12 06:37:44 UTC 2013

Vadim Zhukov wrote:
> > On June 12, 2013, 7:46 a.m., Vadim Zhukov wrote:
> > On June 12, 2013, 7:46 a.m., Vadim Zhukov wrote:
> > > cmake/modules/FindLibRaw.cmake, line 43
> > > <http://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/110962/diff/2/?file=149642#file149642l
> > > ine43>> >
> > >     So what if upstream changes:
> > >
> > >     #define LIBRAW_MAJOR_VERSION 1
> > >
> > >     to:
> > >
> > >     enum     LIBRAW_MAJOR_VERSION     1   // my major version
> > >
> > >     ? Or what if those definitions go to another header file, like
> > >     libraw_version_1.h, and libraw_version.h becomes a stub?
> I mean:
>
> enum    {
>   LIBRAW_MAJOR_VERSION     1   // my major version
> };
>
> of course.

Then we would need to change the Find module. That is the same as when they
decide to rename the library to libraw1.so or something. But maybe until then
someone has improved their released sources to also install a
LibRawConfig.cmake.

Yes, you are right, this is not absolutely future proof. Like it is in
basically every Find*.cmake module out there in the world and will always be.
This can't be fixed in a Find*.cmake module, that is why we (CMake devs)
propose to ship a *Config.cmake with the software instead whereever possible.
Can we now please stop this debate, this will not lead us anywhere because it
can't be fixed.

Eike