[Kde-graphics-devel] Re: KSnapshot filenames workflow

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Mon Nov 15 11:24:21 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Cyrille Berger Skott
<cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 14 November 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> if the issue is that people are losing the image because it's in a temp
>> dir  somewhere, then just autosave it to a sensible location (e.g. the
>> "images" directory set for the session) with a unique name.
> Would it be possible to save it as read-only ?

Do you mean saving as 0400 when saving to /tmp/kde-$login? Sure, it's
a possibility and looks like a good idea.

>An other possibility, would be
> to change kioexec a little bit.
>
> Here is the current behaviour (KDE 4.5):
> * take a screenshot
> * open with kolourpaint
> * modified it, save to disk
> * Kioexec ask me "Temporary file changed ... Do you still want to delete it ?
> {Delete} {Do not delete}"
>
> Instead of asking whether to delete or not, we could also have the option
> "move somewhere else", and when the user click on this he would get a dialog
> to save the file where he can find it later.

I think that's not a good idea. I may open the file in Krita to modify
it, then decide I do not need to modify it and leave Krita. Given that
I have not modified the file, I would never get asked to save/move it.

The attached patch to trunk implements my proposal (it does not do
Cyrille's read-only yet) . Given Aaron's reaction, I'm not committing
it.

Aaron, could you please elaborate on what you suggest? I do not really
understand when you propose to save the screenshot, what filename to
show on the window caption and when to show "[modified]". Something
like my original message but with your workflow would be nice.
Currently KSnapshot is, IMHO, broken and totally unintuitive and I'd
like it to be fixed for 4.6.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org