[Kde-graphics-devel] Re: KSnapshot filenames workflow

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Nov 14 09:37:10 CET 2010

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I have been adding some features to KSnapshot and I have
> noticed the workflow is a bit counterintuitive in regards to:
> - The behavior when you open KSnapshot (a snapshot is taken but it's
> not available to Send To... actions)
> - Archive naming and autoincrement, filename shown in the window
> caption (sometimes the window caption makes you think the screenshot
> has already been saved while it has not)
>
> If you are using 4.5.3 or older and wondering what is this "Send
> To...": it's the new name for "Open With...". With the addition of
> KIPI actions, "Open With..." made little sense for printing,
> e-mailing, uploading to Facebook, etc
>
> Maybe it's me, maybe I don't grasp the current workflow, or maybe it
> is broken. If you feel the 4.5.3 workflow is the right one, please
> comment.
>
> The workflow I'm proposing introduces two fundamental changes:
>
> 1. Never show the proposed filename in the window caption because it
> leads the user to think the screenshot has been automagically saved.
> Instead, show "unsaved screenshot" when the picture has not been saved
> yet, and keep the proposed filename internal for the Save As...
> dialog.

where is the evidence of this confusion? i think it's fine to append a
notification of unsaved status (btw, take a look at KDialog::setCaption, it
accepts a "modified" flag), but not showing the name at all? not sure there's
any point to that.

> 2. When Send To... implies an action which only needs the file
> temporarily (for instance, KIPI plugins: e-mail, upload to Facebook,
> print, etc), save to /tmp (same as now). When Send To... is for a
> permanent storage (for instance: edit with Krita, edit with
> KolourPaint, etc), ask the user to save the file to some place, to
> make sure he knows where to look for next week.

a) that's the job of the tool that opens the image

b) it's impossible to know which tools this will be appropriate for

c) this would render the biggest benefit of the feature, namely a quick, easy
and no-interuption mechanism to get to editting the file, moot

if the issue is that people are losing the image because it's in a temp dir
somewhere, then just autosave it to a sensible location (e.g. the "images"
directory set for the session) with a unique name.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se