[Kde-graphics-devel] Meta info display in Gwenview

Aurelien Gateau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Tue Sep 4 15:10:07 CEST 2007

Hello,

(After asking for feature exemption on Gwenview until beta3 of KDE4,
I have been suggested to move the discussion here, so here it is!)

The main feature I would like to add is the ability to display image
meta info.

The idea of displaying meta info is to bring useful information to the
user. This means we need to filter from the vast amount of available
image info what makes sense for a typical, not photograph expert, user.

I believe the following information would be of interest:
- Image resolution
- Shooting date
- Flash info
Maybe "Exposure Time" would be interesting too

Displaying meta info in Gwenview should take place in two places:
In the fullscreen bar, like Gwenview 1.4 did, and in the "Information"
group of the sidebar.

The code to extract meta information is already there. What remains to
be done is to present this information in a nice way.

In the case of the "Information" group, I think the widget should
display this information by default. Below the displayed meta info,
there should be a "More" button, which would popup a dialog showing
more information, and give the user to select which information he is
interested in. I am thinking about a QListView with three columns:
title, value, display.
Giving the user the ability to choose more information to display by
default should fit the needs of more advanced users without disturbing
non-experts.

For the fullscreen bar, I propose doing it the same way as in Gwenview
1.4: a QLabel displays the necessary information. The content of this
label is defined using keywords, configurable from the config dialog.

What's your opinion on this?

Aurélien