[Kde-graphics-devel] Anyone there? Does anyone have ideas toimplement KPDF like zooming in Konqueror?

Lars Knoll lars at trolltech.com
Thu Mar 3 09:46:36 CET 2005

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 20:08, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 2. März 2005 17:51, schrieb Zack Rusin:
> > On Wednesday 02 March 2005 11:39, Marcel Partap wrote:
> > > Besides technical feasibility: what do you folk say about usability?
> > > Are there any disadvantages?
> >
> > It's something probably every khtml thought about for many years. The
> > reason no one even bothered with it is that no one thought that it'd be
> > worth doing at this point. I don't see really any case where this would
> > be a killer feature.
>
> Never having done a work presentation on your computer right on your
> display, to a bunch of people standing a few meters away? I have wished a
> lot of times that all apps could enlarge their content views... Switching
> to a lower resolution is one solution, but not my favourite...
>
> > It's a nice thing, sure, but nothing you couldn't
> > live without. And considering that it is something that would be very
> > hard to implement properly in khtml I don't think anyone will bother.
> >
> > Especially that in the coming months all apps will get that for free
> > (you could do it today, by rendering the window as a texture on a quad
> > in GL but you'd still have to transform and map input events
> > correctly).
>
> Will they? Will there be independent zooming of the content views, without
> enlarging the toolbars and other helper widgets?

With the recent developments on the X.org side you'll hopefully get zooming of
apps rather soon, but with Qt 4 you'll also get the zooming in widgets.

You's still have to do some work in the view, but once the apps use Qt4, they
will get quite a bit of it for free. The problem with zooming in the painter
is that the results will usually get somewhat blurry, which for an html view
can be a problem. But I guess that's something one could try out.

Cheers,
Lars