[Kde-graphics-devel] Status update

Mosfet dan.duley at verizon.net
Tue Jan 4 12:38:13 CET 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 04:07 am, Lars Knoll wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 January 2005 00:17, Mosfet wrote:
...snip...

> > That's why I don't like programs that convert an image to a pixmap to
> > display it, then convert it back to an image to edit it. You'll end up
> > loosing color resolution. You should keep the image around in your client
> > and just convert to pixmaps to display it.
>
> For high quality graphics apps this is correct. However for at least 95% of
> the use cases you don't care about the source image anymore and it would
> just be a memory hog on the client side.

Well, there are people doing it in paint apps and such ;-) I think this is
largely due to a lack of a painter for QImage.

> Qt is about making things as easy as possible for the 95% of the use cases
> and making the other 5% possible, so it would IMO be a mistake to cache the
> source image in general. Also as soon as someone opens a painter on the
> pixmap, you'd have to throw away the source anyways.

I'm not suggesting you cache the QImage in QPixmap or anything. I'm suggesting
developers know what's going on and that you loose color resolution when
converting from image to pixmap then back again.