[Kde-graphics-devel] Descriptions of new stuff

Mosfet dan.duley at verizon.net
Wed Dec 15 17:30:00 CET 2004

Well, if we want to include a higher-quality expensive scale I'd be inclined
to agree with Lubos and that using ImageMagick's algorithm is a good idea. It
not only has a ton of different modes, but a lot of us are familiar with
ImageMagick based code. I'm pretty good at optimizing that stuff by now.

That being said, I'm not really familiar with Krita and it's scale so if you
port it and it produces good results that are faster, go for it >:)

We still need a quick smoothscale, tho. And for that I definitely vote for
Imlib's. It's faster than anything else I've seen other than sampling,
(including my own stuff), by a large margin. Think about things like
previews, etc... Plus, image viewers may wish to use the quick scale for
scaling down and a more expensive scale for scaling up. I've got huge images
and I want to be able to view them as quick as possible with acceptable
results. When your going through a sequence of large images scale speed is a
big factor. Plus, I've already ported it to MImage and it would take a couple
seconds to port to QImage :P

Really, we are getting into speed/quality tradeoff debates here. This is going
to be an issue with pretty much every effect. I think there will probably end
up being two variants for: scaling, bluring (gaussian and fast), and convolve
(matrix size and integer vs. floating point). This is why I am toying with the
idea of a global quality setting.