Missing games and levels in KSokoban?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Aug 26 13:38:51 BST 2022

Hi Ian,

Am Freitag, 26. August 2022, 09:02:56 CEST schrieb Ian Wadham:
> Hi Friedrich,
>
> One of the things I disliked about KSokoban, which I played in KDE 2 and KDE
> 3 times, was that a new maintainer came along and replaced all the games
> and levels with an entirely different set (called Sasquatch?). Although the
> new levels were good, the earlier levels were nice because they were graded
> from easy to hard and gave everyone, including little kids, access to the
> game.
>
> I’ll have a dig through the repository in the next day or two and see what
> the current situation is re sets of levels.

Okay. Already saw that in the ML archive discussions and made a mental note,
but with lower priority currently compared to theming. Even more after I
discovered https://ksokoban.online which helped me solve levels where I first
thought "this is impossible, the data or game must be broken" :P and was to
give up working on reviving releases.
(totally could understand also why people even filed bug reports against
ksokoban about "level x is not solvable", as I later saw, could have been me
:P)

> Also, I think the game is a good one to have a Game Editor added.

The author of easySok agreed there, I saw :) Too bad that app also stalled.

Thought the few who would like to do levels can use a plain texteditor, as the
supported level format is plain text based, no? See also
https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/ksokoban/ksokoban/loading-external-levels.html

The whole level loading and management support though needs an overwhole
indeed, to make things more discoverable, understandable & usable.

Would be my own next target after theming, together with bringing back those
lost levels where possible. But only later this year, or early next. But agree
this is a rather weak spot.

And having a dedicated separate editor for easy level design would be neat. As
well as integration with online communities already collecting & managing
levels. But that is a lot of work I do not see myself currently having time
left for, TODO list already full :)

Cheers
Friedrich