Knights Patches

Alexander Semke alexander.semke at web.de
Wed Apr 6 08:00:55 BST 2022

Hallo Dave,

On Dienstag, 5. April 2022 18:20:21 CEST Dave Kaye wrote:
> I have placed two patches for the KDE game program Knights on the KDE bug
> website.
> The first is for bug 430403 - bug or feature in castling.  This bug allows a
> captured rook to still be allowed to castle, using the opponent's capturing
> piece as if it were the rook.
> The second is for bug 447665 - xboard communication protocol error for pawn
> promotion.  This bug places an errant = sign in the move string which is
> not allowed in the xboard protocol.
> Both patches are only a couple of lines long.
> I do not have access to GIT, so am unable to use the requested patch
> submission procedures.  The developer appears to have been relegated to
> community development, so I cannot send the patches to a person.  If
> someone who is a KDE games developer in this area would look at the patches
> I would appreciate it.
I saw your new bug reports. Thank you. I'll get to them soon, busy right now
with another project... I'll review/validate your patches and submit them this
week.

> Second, I do have web access to the git repositories.  I have been able to
> submit patches to other programs on GitHub utilizing it's clone/individual
> file upload web interface.  The KDE developer documentation appears to show
> some web capabilities for cloning in GitLab, but git must be used to
> actually submit patched files.  Without creating user accounts and clones
> going nowhere, would someone please tell me if the KDE GitLab site will
> allow web file upload similar to GitHub or is it tied to git.
I'm not sure this file upload is possible. But, it is possible in gitlab to
modify the source code directly in the web ide - https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/
user/project/web_ide/index.html. So, you clone the repository, modify the
file(s) in the web ide, create a commit from there and then place a merge
request. Everything should be possible in the browser end-to-end without
touching git. To works with KDE's gitlab instance you'll need a KDE Identity
account as described on https://community.kde.org/Infrastructure/GitLab.

Best Regards,
Alexander