Proposed new set of levels for KGoldrunner

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 05:41:51 BST 2021

Hi Albert,

Thank you very much for all your help with this. Just a couple of questions below.

> On 8 Jun 2021, at 7:40 am, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>
> El dilluns, 7 de juny de 2021, a les 2:07:08 (CEST), Ian Wadham va escriure:
>> Hi Albert,
>>
>>> On 7 Jun 2021, at 8:22 am, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> El dissabte, 5 de juny de 2021, a les 5:58:51 (CEST), Ian Wadham va escriure:

>>> There is a line with
>>> i18n("");
>>> in game_GotD.txt which makes no sense, you can't translate "nothing”.
>>
>> My apologies, Albert. That line and the lines just before and after it are meant to be extracted as one translatable string, containing two short paragraphs with \n as separators.
>>
>> I am sending you the corrected file privately.
>
> Ok, all committed.

Thanks again, Albert. Just two questions...

I looked at https://invent.kde.org/games/kgoldrunner/-/commits/master and even logged in as KDE ID “ianw”, but could find no branch or merge request. Should there be one, or am I missing something?

Also, could you send me a file of all the strings the latest KDE translation scripts extract from file kgoldrunner/gamedata/game_GotD.txt? Then I can check that they all appear as intended (i.e. no fragmentation or missing bits).

> I did some testing and i guess it works, i'm terrible at playing kgoldrunner so ... :D

So the build worked with the new files in it. They are just data-files, no changes to C++ code, so I would expect KGoldrunner to work as before, in the latest releases and with the latest libraries. So no need to play… :-)

When you start KGoldrunner, the demo tests almost everything except GUI actions and menus.

The new levels, Game Of The Living Dead, can be tested by loading each (or any) level and its solution. To step through several levels, use H (for Help), Esc (for Show A Solution) and Y (for Play Next Level).

Each recorded level should terminate with all the gold gone and the hero on the top row of the layout. Failure to get there would mean that there is something wrong with the layout of the level or something is not working properly down in Qt, as happened before in 2007-2008 when QGraphicsView and KDE 4 first appeared.

Gabriel and I have already tested all levels on various earlier versions of KDE. Also he composed them and can play and win all of them, as evidenced by the recorded solutions. I can play only a fraction of them… too old for this stuff now… not fast enough any more… :-(

All the best,
Ian W.