Proposed new set of levels for KGoldrunner

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 01:09:19 BST 2021

Hi Albert,

> On 19 Apr 2021, at 7:54 am, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> El diumenge, 18 d’abril de 2021, a les 5:15:06 (CEST), Ian Wadham va escriure:
>>
>> The other thing to be reviewed would be the texts of the game description and hints, looking for translation issues, typos, non-US language items (e.g. “centre”) and so on. I have fixed a number of such instances already, but relying on memory alone. Is there a guide or checklist for translation issues?
>
> We have https://develop.kde.org/hig/style/writing/wording/ since what you're asking as far as i undertand isn't really related to translating but to the actual "source" English language.

Thanks, Albert, that is helpful. It will be a useful checklist.

Also it does touch on some issues that affect translating, such as on-screen text layouts needing to be displayable right-to-left in some languages, avoiding excessive use of contractions and avoiding tricky code to handle plurals in messages containing a number. I have walked into a few of those traps from time to time.

Two things that do not seem to get a mention are the use of US English as a standard in KDE software and the use of i18nc() to tackle the occasional (delicious) vagueness and ambiguity of English as a language… :-) For example, the word “game” can be applied to KGoldrunner as a whole, to a set of levels or to a session of play. French translators would use either “jeu” or “partie” to distinguish such cases, but they need context to decide which.

Cheers,
Ian W.