Proposed new set of levels for KGoldrunner

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 04:15:06 BST 2021

Hi Albert,

> On 17 Apr 2021, at 9:20 am, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>
> El divendres, 16 d’abril de 2021, a les 8:03:34 (CEST), Ian Wadham va escriure:
>> I have received a new set of 50 levels for KGoldrunner from Gabriel Miltschitzky, one of KDE's KGoldrunner game composers. It is called "Gold Of The Living Dead" and is based around present-day zombie mythology.
>>
>> It consists of two new files: a game-data file and a recorded-solutions file. So far, I have checked that all the levels and solutions work and I have edited the game description and hints, to make them more “standard” for the translators, among other changes. The files are currently back with Gabriel for final review. When he returns them, I will add any changes he suggests, then the two files will be ready to add to the KGoldrunner repository at kgoldrunner/gamedata, along with a small change to the kgoldrunner/gamedata/CMakeLists.txt file.
>>
>> Unfortunately it has been many years since I committed to a repository and I no longer have commit access. So I would need help with getting the changes committed. I do still have a KDE Ident, so can participate in a Merge Request. I think the game-data file would need review to ensure that it meets current standards for translatable text (i.e. the hints and the game-description) and that the text can be successfully extracted, so I would need a suitable reviewer for that.
>
> https://community.kde.org/Infrastructure/GitLab#Submitting_a_merge_request lists all you need to know to submit a Merge Request, but if you feel overwhelmed, just send the files my way and i'll create the Merge Request for you.

Thank you very much, Albert, for your offer. I certainly do feel overwhelmed! Each way I look I see enormous learning curves looming up! As you know, I am on an Apple OSX platform. The most recent version of KDE Community software I have ever been able to compile is KDE 4.14.3. If I were 20 years younger and again writing new games for KDE, I would learn about virtualization (from zero), install OpenSuse, re-learn Linux, catch up with Plasma and then work through https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved/development. However, the prospect of that is definitely overwhelming now.

So certainly, when the files for the new KGoldrunner level-set are ready, I would like to take up your offer, Albert.

The first thing to be reviewed in the Merge Request would be whether the “Gold Of The Living Dead" levels work OK with KF5 and Qt5. I see no reason why not. Very little, if any, of the KGoldrunner game engine code is dependent on new features of KF5 or Qt5. Also the hundreds of existing levels of KGoldrunner seem to have worked OK in successive releases over the last few years.

The other thing to be reviewed would be the texts of the game description and hints, looking for translation issues, typos, non-US language items (e.g. “centre”) and so on. I have fixed a number of such instances already, but relying on memory alone. Is there a guide or checklist for translation issues?

Cheers,
Ian W.