T10243: Some KDE applications could use better icons

Alessandro Longo noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jul 17 11:31:51 BST 2020

alex-l added a comment.

  @tosta

  In T10243#235383 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243#235383>, @tosta wrote:

  > Gweview icon inspired by: Circle-icons-eye.svg <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Circle-icons-eye.svg>
  >
  > F8685826: gwenview.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8685826>
  >
  > Update: submitted in Gwenview (T13400 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T13400>)

  Here the gradient from blue to white in the center is definetely wrong... In Breeze icons you can see sligthly gradients but they mostly indicate a light source, they are not gradients from a color to another totally different one.

  About the shape, it's cool but it's too much round compared to other shapes used in Breeze. And there are too much details namely all those circles.

  Anyway this is just an eye, I think it's too generic as metaphor. In these cases you should provide reasoning on why this should be an improvement. Keep in mind that app icons, especially the core apps ones, shouldn't be updated without a strong reasoning.

  In T10243#235386 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243#235386>, @tosta wrote:

  > An icon proposal for Ark.
  >
  > Update: Icon improvements and licensed LGPL.
  >
  > F8688969: ark.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8688969>
  >  F8688968: ark.svg <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8688968>

  Here you totally missed the Breeze color palette... the gradient makes the icon look shiny and the reflection makes it look glossy. Don't you see we haven't anything like that in Breeze?

  And the shape... why a circle should be better than the rectangle for an application to manage archives like Ark? I think the circle is hardly relatable to archives.

  In T10243#235432 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243#235432>, @tosta wrote:

  > Colored Kwrite icon proposition:
  >
  > F8688852: kwrite.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8688852>
  >  F8688851: kwrite.svg <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8688851>

  DON'T write labels in the icon. This is so bad visually as small sizes and for localization... what if one just use generic names? Plasma has an option for that, I don't remember if it's the default.

  Again the color has nothing to do with other Breeze icons... and there are too many details in center while the left border is basically inherited from flat design...

  In T10243#235450 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243#235450>, @tosta wrote:

  > Okular icon proposal.
  >
  > F8689327: okular.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8689327>
  >  F8689326: okular.svg <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8689326>

  This is not bad, it could be a Breeze icon, but the combination of that red and that blue is very bad. You will have a hard time trying to mix blue and red, they don't fit together because of color theory reasons. In this cases do some search on how to design color palettes to learn how to mix different colors.

  Anyway you should really try other tasks concerning icons and visual design. Breeze icons for core apps are too important.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243