T10243: Some KDE applications could use better icons

Alessandro Longo noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jul 17 10:10:02 BST 2020

alex-l added a comment.

  @ngraham go to any art school and they will tell you the difference between a logo (branding) and an icon (software user interface).

  You can say "nobody" agrees with me because all the other old VDG members are not around anymore, some of them went away like me because visual design is treated as a second citizen in KDE. Code developer are just "tell me your opinion on UI/UX, then I will decide what to do with MY software".

  In KDE there is meritocracy, right? Why this doesn't apply to icons? Why there isn't even one Breeze Icons maintainer that is qualified to tell what contributions are OK?

  I can understand this for other app icons that are missing in Breeze but replacing the old ones not. If you are not able to produce better icons just don't replace them.

  Are you asking me to contribute back by teaching how to draw better icons? I already spent my time drawing icons just to see them replaced with no discussion. I spent my time discussing a matter for hours just to see a new generation of contributors not knowing previous discussion just taking another decision. What's the point of contributing now if someone will change everything just for the sake of changing? There is no enstablished workflow for visual design in KDE community, there is just a continous anarchy. If this was the case for code nobody would use KDE software at all.

  Some people study to learn how to code. Other people study visual arts. I'm in the former category as a software engineer but since I think visual design is totally part of GUI development I learned it too.

  In KDE any developer tries to teach basics of programming to new contributors, one is just supposed to know the basics. Should I spend my time to teach to others how to use a color palette? Are you serious?

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243