T10243: Some KDE applications could use better icons

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Sep 18 21:04:07 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  That's not a bad icon, but again, I think we owe it to the app developers to be as true to the original icon as possible. That text-origami-bird icon is cool, but it has nothing to do with Kate's original icon. The HIG specifically recommends against this:

  > https://hig.kde.org/style/icons/application.html
  >  When creating a Breeze theme version of an existing app’s icon, is critically important that the icon’s existing brand and visual style be preserved. The goal is to create a Breeze version of the icon, not something completely new and different.

  For example, here's Okular's original icon: F6517594: okular.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6517594>

  Here's the Deepin icon theme version of it, as @filipf pointed out up-thread:
  F7378824: Okular-deepin.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7378824>

  IMO this version of the icon is both much better than the Breeze icon version, and also more true to the original. That's the kind of thing we should strive for with Breeze icons. If we want to make a totally new icon, it needs to be done in coordination with the app's developers and have their approval.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243