T10243: Some KDE applications could use better icons

Christoph Cullmann noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Sep 18 20:05:22 BST 2019

cullmann added a comment.

  In T10243#201347 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243#201347>, @filipf wrote:

  > In T10243#201303 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243#201303>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > Yeah, an app's icon is a part of its branding. It //should// look distinctive, not generic. Ideally it communicates both its purpose ("I'm a text editor!") as well as its identity ("I'm Kate!"). I think the problem with some of these icons is that they only do the former, not the latter. I don't think there is a conflict here, though!
  >

  > This seems like the crux of the issue to me, I don't think it's that much about the flat vs. skeuo debate.
  >
  > Some icons listed here are distinguishable, still do a decent job in terms of branding, and would maybe only benefit from a little tweaking (e.g. Gwenview). But others such as the Okular, Konsole, Kate, KWrite, Yakuake, and the previous version of the Kolf icon look somewhat generic to me.

  Yes, KWrite, ok, that is just some "non-SDI" Kate, I could live with it having just the same icon or the icon with some emblem like Kate.
  But Kate's icon is just maximal generic, could be any editor.
  The current draft of Tyson looks more like a simplified miniature version of the woodpecker mascot.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243