T10243: Some KDE applications could use better icons

Alessandro Longo noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Sep 18 15:00:08 BST 2019

alex-l added a comment.

  In T10243#201291 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243#201291>, @cullmann wrote:

  > Actually, that is exactly what I want to have: an arbitrary logo that is distinguishable.
  >  It does Kate a big disservice that we have no icon like Atom/Sublime/Vim/...
  >  A generic "text" icon is nice for a mime-type.
  >  Users will easily detect where to start Atom, but not where to start Kate, as it could just be any other "editor".

  Distinghishable from other editors maybe, but here we have different ideas of what an app icon is. For me, the app icon is that UI element that let you start the app and indicate the app in the task managers etc. In this context, with the user having to start a text editor, the icon must be descriptive.

  Instead in the context of building branding to compete with other similar apps the icon and the logo could be the same. I don't think this was the case for KDE apps like Kate, KWrite and Gwenview and so they have those icons.

  In case one wants to build a strong brand for a KDE app, especially if it's available for other platforms, he should first design a logo and then an icon that would be at the same time similar to the logo and descriptive of what the app does. See for example Kdenlive.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243