D5693: First attempt to port remaining dbo* statements to qCDebug().

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed May 3 00:10:46 UTC 2017

Hi Luigi,

Hope you don't get two copies of this.

I don't have an email address for Johan Ouwerkerk and I don't have
access to Phabricator, as I have retired from KDE now.  I tried writing
to the KDE Games list before about issues regarding KSudoku, but
nobody seemed to notice.  Do you guys still read KDE Games?

Re the current issue, it might be unwise to replace all occurrences of
"dboN" with calls to qCDebug(), unless the "KSudokuLog" parameter
exactly reproduces the behaviour of debug levels and macros defined
in file "generator/debug.h".  If log messages appear as "all or none",
you will either be flooded with (possibly millions of) messages from
the KSudoku solver or receive no messages at all.  Neither of those
alternatives would be any use if a bug appeared in the main solver ---
and the "debugging on" alternative would be a serious drag on resources,
because that solver is invoked multiple times when generating a puzzle.

Also, if Johan goes ahead, lines like the following would need attention:
    if (dbgLevel >= 2) {
        this->print (boardValues);
    }

It might be easiest just to redefine the "debug.h" file in terms of qCDebug().

Similar remarks apply in games where I used the "debug.h" approach to
debug details of animation frames (Kubrick? KGoldrunner?).

On 03/05/2017, at 8:11 AM, Luigi Toscano wrote:

> View Revision
> ltoscano added a comment.
>
> So basically the scope of the patch are all the "non controversial" statements.
>
> qC* adds a newline, so the final \n should be removed. But then, change required anyway, at least the statements without arguments could be modified to use the other format. As you prefer.
>

> REPOSITORY
> R417 KSudoku
>
> REVISION DETAIL
> https://phabricator.kde.org/D5693