Fw: solver for kpatience spider is sometimes wrong

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Wed Mar 29 07:58:47 UTC 2017

Forwarding with permission.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 15:35:52 +0300
From: Shlomi Fish <shlomif at shlomifish.org>
To: "J.J.van.Beele" <jeroen at guts4roses.org>
Cc: Shlomi Fish <shlomif at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: solver for kpatience spider is sometimes wrong

Hi J.J.,

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 14:10:05 +0200
"J.J.van.Beele" <jeroen at guts4roses.org> wrote:

> hi shlomi
>
> i enjoy playing kpatience/spider very much
>
> what surprises me is that the solver sometimes states that the current game
> is no longer winnable whilst it still is, recently i had the following
> experience:

Unfortunately, you've emailed the wrong guy. I didn't contribute to kpat's
spider solver (nor do I play spider a lot). I am the author of
http://fc-solve.shlomifish.org/ which is a solver for Freecell, Simple Simon,
and some similar games. An old version of it used to be integrated into kpat,
but eventually it was replaced by a fork of patsolve (see
https://github.com/shlomif/patsolve and http://cards.wikia.com/wiki/Patsolve
), before it was later relicensed under the Expat licence and continued being
developed by me (and later integrated into FReecell Solver). I think that
kpat's spider solver was originated by Stephan Kulow ("coolo").

Note that I was once emailed about a different solver for Spider that someone
wrote and he gave me the source, but:

1. Its licence was not explicitly specified there.

2. It used many of his custom header files that were not provided as part of
the source.

3. It made a bad use of multi-threading to implement preemption.

---

With your permission I'd like to forward this reply to the kdegames and
fc-solve-discuss mailing lists.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish