D7044: Finish removing dependance to KDElibs4Support

Nemanja Hiršl noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Aug 3 07:46:58 UTC 2017

nhirsl added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D7044#131173, @kleag wrote:

  > I must admit that I did not test the xmpp part… And in fact it does not work. There is an error in connecting a socket error signal. That should at least be corrected.
  >
  > But I just tried too a Jabber based game on the ksirk currently available on KDE Neon and it does not work either. But this time the console output gives useful information.
  >
  > I propose to correct the evident bug to have a situation in par with the current released version and then to push these changes before trying to make the Jabber work again with the new versions you worked on. In this case, should we remove the Jabber option from the GUI while it is not working ?

  I agree. It would be ideal to have the same behavior after removal of kdelibs4support. That would make the upgrade to newer iris and jabber libs easier.
  We can remove Jabber option from GUI until we fix Jabber gameplay.

  > P.S.: to answer your question, there is nothing special necessary to play over Jabber except a working account
  >  P.P.S.: the Jabber stuff was an interesting experiment but I don't know if anybody ever used it for real games… So, should we do large efforts to maintain it ?

  Well, that's good question. I can't say for sure for how long, but Jabber part seems to be broken for a while. There was no single bug report for Jabber game, either.
  Now, what effort should we invest here?
  I wanted to upgrade to newer libs which at the end:

  1. Removes need for kdelibs4support
  2. Fixes a bunch of compile time warnings and speeds up compile time
  3. Aligns with upstream

  Unfortunately, solely this upgrade didn't fix KsirK integration - it is still not possible to setup a game.

  So, maybe we shouldn't invest that much time now, what do you think?

  The plan could be:

  1. Remove kdelibs4support as in this review
  2. Fix and align behavior with current master
  3. Remove Jabber from GUI
  4. Upgrade iris and kopete parts
  5. Try to fix gameplay

  If we can't do no.5 in a reasonable time, Jabber will be disabled (non visible from the GUI) until again someone (e.g. new group of students) decide to experiment with XMPP gameplay.

  Does this sound reasonable?

REPOSITORY
  R413 KsirK

REVISION DETAIL