[Kde-games-devel] [Announce] KSokoban's Port to KDE Frameworks 5 (KF5) is [Mostly] Complete

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 03:33:54 UTC 2016

Hi Shlomi,

On 28/12/2015, at 9:49 PM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> From what I see, the POV-Ray images are being pre-rendered into high resolution
> PNGs which are then kept inside the version control system, and scaled by the
> game executable itself. So POV-Ray is not required unless one wants to render
> the graphics again or to modify it.

Ah yes, I had forgotten that.  So dependency on POV-Ray is not really an issue.

I have sometimes wondered why we did not go the PNG way with graphics
in other games, rather than dynamically rendering and cacheing pixmaps
from SVG files…  That route led us to a lot of complexities for a while, but
they were eventually solved by some new classes in libkdegames.

> I am a far cry from being an artist (see http://www.shlomifish.org/art/ for my
> attempts at “art”). There are some SVG guys on the inkscape-users mailing list,
> and I also met some on #reddit-gamedev on Freenode (which is a spin off
> of /r/gamedev on Reddit). Not sure we can easily find someone, but we can try.

The current graphics of KSokoban are quite good and the game is resizeable.
The only odd things I know of are:

    - The board is in plan view but the little man and the jewels are in elevation,
    - The background is tiny indistinct tiles, but is supposed be a photo of a galaxy.

The galaxy picture is a bit "lo-res" for today's screens IIRC, but it is easy to get a
better picture from NASA or somewhere…

So the artwork is not a pressing problem, I would say.

Cheers, Ian W.