[Kde-games-devel] KMahjongg frameworks branch

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 20:10:44 UTC 2015

Hi Frederik,

On 28/11/2015, at 7:34 AM, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> I just realised that the 15.12 release cycle is coming to an end soon
> and the freeze has already happened.
> So plan for KMahjongg frameworks branch would be to merge it right
> after the 15.12 branch has been created (december 9th ...). and then
> go through those old bug reports and close the ones that are already
> fixed by the qgraphic branch.

As you now know, the Applications 15.12 branch already exists.  Only
bug-fixes are allowed on that branch --- and they must be re-applied, in
parallel, on the master branch.

KMahjongg is old code which has been unmaintained for several years,
so I think the risk of new showstopper bugs appearing on the 15.12 branch
is rather low.  Also, I think some of Jan-Peter Nilsson's fixes would have
already made it into 15.8 or 15.12 or even 15.4...

In principle, you can merge the Frameworks branch into master any time
you are ready, but it might be best to leave it a few days, just in case any
showstoppers appear in 15.12.  The merge is going to be a massive
change, incorporating Frameworks and QGraphicsView changes, plus
a few bug fixes from either Jan-Peter or Christian Krippendorf (I have
rather lost track of those, I must confess --- it has been months since any
work was done on them).

So after the merge, the KMahjongg master code is going to be very
different: fixing a new bug that might appear at the last minute in 15.12
might be that much more complicated to port into master.  That problem
might have to be faced eventually, but I'd rather not be facing it when we
are in the last stages of a release.

> For me it looks quite good and I did not see problems introduced in
> frameworks branch so far.

BTW, I believe that the frameworks branch has to be totally free of
KDE 4 usages, including KDE 4 Support usages, before you merge
to master.  I trust you have dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's… :-)

Cheers, Ian W.