[Kde-games-devel] KMahjongg frameworks branch

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzer at kde.org
Wed Nov 25 14:52:27 UTC 2015

Am Dienstag, 24. November 2015, 16:28:06 schrieb Ian Wadham:

Hi Ian,

> I think, to keep matters simple, I will replace loadSettings() on
> the qgraphic branch with the entire method from the frameworks
> branch and commit it as a consolidated change.

Preferably the qgraphic branch should be put to sleep and further
porting work should go to frameworks branch directly.
But you had problems with KF5, right?

> I could cherry-pick changes from frameworks into qgraphic, but my
> git skills are not good and I would be worried about making a
> mistake.

Yep, same here. I usually merge branches but then have problems with
understanding, which piece of code has been added/changed/removed for
what reason. I never cherry-picked.

> The code really is getting to be a rat's nest, what with all the
> negatives. It might be cleaner to pre-define a boolean or two, with
> nice readable names, then have simpler if() statements.  OTOH, "if
> it ain't broke don't fix it".

And now to defining "broke". ;)

> BTW, I tried choosing "random layout mode" in the Settings dialog.
> It works well, except for two things I did not like (as a user):
>
> a) There is no way to know what layout you have been randomly given.
>
> b) If you like one of the random layouts and then go back to
> non-random mode, what you get is a change of layout back to
> whatever was last saved in non-random mode, maybe hours or weeks
> before and maybe no longer of interest.
>
> So there is no easy way to remember a random layout and use it again
> later.
>
> Problem a) could be solved by putting the layout's name in
> KMahjongg's title bar, which would be a user-friendly thing to do
> in any case (see KPat).

I just put the layout's name in the window's title bar in frameworks
branch.

For bigger non-bugfix changes I would like to wait until the
frameworks branch has been merged to master.

Regards,
Frederik