[Kde-games-devel] Data migration issue

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Mar 1 22:59:51 UTC 2015

El Diumenge, 1 de març de 2015, a les 23:46:24, Mathias Kraus va escriure:
> Am Montag, 2. März 2015, 09:00:07 schrieb Ian Wadham:
> > Hi Mathias,
> >
> > On 02/03/2015, at 5:24 AM, Mathias Kraus wrote:
> > > I just tested the data migration of some games and noticed, that they
> > > have the same problem like granatier when QCoreApplication is created
> > > before the migration. The migrated config is not used at the first
> > > application run, but the default settings. If a user then changes a
> > > setting, the migrated settings will be lost.
> > >
> > > While this is just a minor problem, because the settings can be changed
> > > again and it only happens if the user changes the setting at the first
> > > run of the application,>
> > I would say that most users would start changing settings if they find
> > their settings are gone.
> >
> > > there is another problem. The migrated high scores are also not used.
> > > This means, if a user plays a game and wins, the old high scores are
> > > also lost.>
> > Also, other data files, such as the user's entire jigsaw puzzle collection
> > in Palapeli, the saved solution-state of each puzzle, the saved state of
> > a cube in Kubrick and any games or levels in KGoldrunner that are being
> > composed or edited by the user --- to name a few.
> >
> > > I think this is a big problem
> >
> > Yes, it is a really serious problem, IMHO.
> >
> > > and would suggest, to move the creation of QCoreApplication below the
> > > migration.>
> > Hope that works in all cases.  Well spotted, Mathias!
>
> I assume QCoreApplication looks for the rc file and if it doesn't find one,
> it uses the default settings. As the migration is after the creation of the
> QCoreApplication, there is no rc file to use.
>
> Could someone confirm my assumption?

No, QCoreApplication doesn't know anything about rc files, it has to be
something else; i'm not saying the migration being done after/before
QCoreApplication is not the trigger, i'm just saying that your theory can't be
the reason.

Also it'd probably make sense for you to involve the kde-frameworks mailing
list, more knowledgeable people about kconfig & friends live there.

Cheers,
  Albert