[Kde-games-devel] Data migration issue

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 22:00:07 UTC 2015

Hi Mathias,

On 02/03/2015, at 5:24 AM, Mathias Kraus wrote:
> I just tested the data migration of some games and noticed, that they have the same problem like granatier when QCoreApplication is created before the migration. The migrated config is not used at the first application run, but the default settings. If a user then changes a setting, the migrated settings will be lost.
>
> While this is just a minor problem, because the settings can be changed again and it only happens if the user changes the setting at the first run of the application,

I would say that most users would start changing settings if they find
their settings are gone.

> there is another problem. The migrated high scores are also not used. This means, if a user plays a game and wins, the old high scores are also lost.

Also, other data files, such as the user's entire jigsaw puzzle collection in
Palapeli, the saved solution-state of each puzzle, the saved state of a cube
in Kubrick and any games or levels in KGoldrunner that are being composed
or edited by the user --- to name a few.

> I think this is a big problem

Yes, it is a really serious problem, IMHO.

> and would suggest, to move the creation of QCoreApplication below the migration.

Hope that works in all cases.  Well spotted, Mathias!

Cheers, Ian W.