[Kde-games-devel] libkdegames + kexthighscore

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Jul 19 13:51:50 UTC 2015

El Diumenge, 19 de juliol de 2015, a les 23:08:46, Ian Wadham va escriure:
> Hi Albert and Jeremy,
>
> On 19/07/2015, at 11:26 AM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> > Sounds like a good idea to me. Does kreversi have a maintainer though?
> > If not I'll add it to my list of stuff to look at when/if I get some
> > few minutes.
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> >> kexthighscore is the reason libkdegames still depends on kdelibs4support,
> >> and it's not even ported properly, has a few TODO that basically make it
> >> not work as it should.
> >>
> >> The only game using it in kde repos is kreversi.
>
> AFAICR kexthighscore has been deprecated on KDE Games for quite some years.
> It is, people said, "over engineered".  See
> http://api.kde.org/4.14-api/kdegames-apidocs/libkdegames/highscore/html/hier
> archy.html.

It even has world-wide scores support with some url, i doubt anyone knows what
the server has to look like though. I also have a patch to remove that, but if
we move it to kreversi then we can leave it up to them to decide.

> Most games use KScoreDialog for high scores, I believe: a simple class which
> is buried in that hierarchy, but is actually stand-alone AFAIK, except for
> depending on KDialog (in KDE 4 at least). See
> http://api.kde.org/4.14-api/kdegames-apidocs/libkdegames/highscore/html/clas
> sKScoreDialog.html

KScoreDialog won't be affected (see the review requests i just created)

> >> So given that it never worked as it should in the KF5-based version, I
> >> was
> >> wondering, should i just copy the code over to kreversi and remove it
> >> from
> >> libkdegames?
>
> It would make more sense, IMHO, to consider (finally) dropping KExtHighScore
> from libkdegames altogether and using KScoreDialog in KReversi.

I agree with dropping KExtHighScore from libkdegames, since the other change
is quite bigger, i'd prefer to just move the classes over and whoever finishes
the KReversi port to KF5 gets to decide if he also wants stop using
KExtHighScore or he takes them in as part of kreversi's own code.

Cheers,
  Albert