[Kde-games-devel] Freeze in 6 weeks

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Jan 29 19:43:40 UTC 2015

El Dijous, 29 de gener de 2015, a les 10:05:01, Inge Wallin va escriure:
> On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 20:47:44 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > >
> > > That is not the issue. The issue is that it was promised that if you
> > > developed your program with KDE Frameworks 5 instead of KDElibs, you
> > > would
> > > get a more lightweight program that did not need any daemons to run.
> > >
> > > Now this turns out to be not true.   *That* is what we want, not to
> > > remove
> > > network transparency per se. But if the promise from frameworks 5 is not
> > > kept, what is there to be done?
> >
> > Really? Who promised you that? That's never been the promise, the promise
> > of KF5 is that it's more modular, and yes there's some libs that don't
> > need extra daemons and some that do need them.
>
> I actually tried to do some research to find this promise in writing but
> except for pointing it out as a problem in an article on the dot I couldn't
> find any written promise.

The list on http://api.kde.org/frameworks-api/frameworks5-apidocs/ has three
items, functional, solution, integration.

As far as i remember, functional means you can use it standalone, solution
means it needs a daemon and integraion means it needs more stuff (more
daemons?

> But I do remember bringing up this problem in a
> number of conversations with frameworks developers early in the development
> cycle.  One of those times was in a frameworks meeting at Akademy in
> Tampere.
>
> And the developers did say that bringing down the amount of infrastructure
> that the first KDE application on an alien platform started was one of the
> motivations for frameworks. Not the only one, of course, but still an
> important one.

> > > Yes, it will be in other applications.  But that is the price you have
> > > pay for platform portability sometimes.
> > >
> > > I never thought it was reasonable to have to start the full KDE desktop
> > > infrastructure just to run an application from the KDE on, say, Gnome.
> > > But
> > > that's what we had to do back in the kdelibs days. Frameworks 5 was
> > > supposed to get rid of that but now it turns out that it doesn't.  The
> > > question is: is this just not yet implemented or was this design goal
> > > abandoned?
> >
> > What is "the full KDE desktop infraestructure" for you?
>
> Let's skip the word "full", since I don't really know every nook and crannie
> of the kde infrastructure.  But to start several daemons to be able to
> access a file on another server seems like overkill.  Even one, in fact.

Why starting a program to do something is an overkill? If i want to convert a
pdf to a ps, running pdftops seems totally legit to me.

Cheers,
  Albert