[Kde-games-devel] Freeze in 6 weeks

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Wed Jan 28 16:54:51 UTC 2015

Hi Inge,

On 28 Jan 2015, at 14:04 , Inge Wallin <inge at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>> I am agree with Albert if there is a problem with network-transparency on
>> MacOsX it's better to fix it that remove it.
>
> That is not the issue. The issue is that it was promised that if you developed
> your program with KDE Frameworks 5 instead of KDElibs, you would get a more
> lightweight program that did not need any daemons to run.

I thought so as well.

> Now this turns out to be not true.   *That* is what we want, not to remove
> network transparency per se. But if the promise from frameworks 5 is not kept,
> what is there to be done?

I think this networks stuff should be an optional feature, to keep the promise.

>> And this problem will be in other application.
>> It's not just a problem with kdegames so fix it for kdegames will fix for
>> all application.
>>
>> We can't remove feature each time we need to fix on a specific platform no ?
>
> Yes, it will be in other applications.  But that is the price you have to pay
> for platform portability sometimes.

Again, +1 for making stuff like that optional for those users or platforms where
it is required and wished for.

> I never thought it was reasonable to have to start the full KDE desktop
> infrastructure just to run an application from the KDE on, say, Gnome.  But
> that's what we had to do back in the kdelibs days. Frameworks 5 was supposed
> to get rid of that but now it turns out that it doesn't.  The question is: is
> this just not yet implemented or was this design goal abandoned?
>
> This is what we need to focus on. Network transparency is *not* the issue.

+1

I am afraid, this is an issue which needs broader audience and should perhaps
be transferred to KDE-DEVEL and KDE-FRAMEWORKS-DEVEL, perhaps, no!?

Regards,
Marko