[Kde-games-devel] Freeze in 6 weeks

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Sun Feb 1 02:38:27 UTC 2015

Albert, Frameworks developers/maintainers,

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El Dijous, 29 de gener de 2015, a les 10:05:01, Inge Wallin va escriure:
> > On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 20:47:44 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > El Dimecres, 28 de gener de 2015, a les 14:04:14, Inge Wallin va
> escriure:
> network-transparency

> not
> > >
> > > Really? Who promised you that? That's never been the promise, the
> promise
> > > of KF5 is that it's more modular, and yes there's some libs that don't
> > > need extra daemons and some that do need them.
> >
> > I actually tried to do some research to find this promise in writing but
> > except for pointing it out as a problem in an article on the dot I
> couldn't
> > find any written promise.
>
> The list on http://api.kde.org/frameworks-api/frameworks5-apidocs/ has
> three
> items, functional, solution, integration.
>
> As far as i remember, functional means you can use it standalone, solution
> means it needs a daemon and integraion means it needs more stuff (more
> daemons?

Is this categorization correct? Has it been checked with a dependency
analysis to see that each functional framework is usable standalone? I
understood the tiers concept but never did get my head around the
functional/integration/solution concept yet, but would like to. At any
rate, I think KNewStuff which I'm very familiar with doesn't seem to be
usable standalone as the functional status it has implies. It depends on
and uses KIO for all network downloads and uploads, which requires a daemon
as far as I can tell (and is a solution) so should KNewStuff be changed to
a solution also probably?