[Kde-games-devel] [Announce] KSokoban's Port to KDE Frameworks 5 (KF5) is [Mostly] Complete

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Sun Dec 27 14:03:58 UTC 2015

Hi Ian,

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 16:26:05 +1100
Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Albert and Shlomi,
>
> On 21/12/2015, at 5:59 AM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El Sunday 20 December 2015, a les 16:28:04, Shlomi Fish va escriure:
> >> I recently mostly finished porting the KSokoban maintenance port on
> >> SourceForge from KDE 4 to KF5 :
> >>
> >> http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/projects/ksokoban/
> >
> > Why are you using sourceforge instead of KDE infrastructure?
>
> Actually KSokoban is in KDE infrastructure.  It was moved into
> "unmaintained" during the transition of KDE Games from KDE 3
> to KDE 4.  It is now at https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=ksokoban.git
> still in its unmaintained state, AFAICT, although Scripty pays it
> a visit once or twice a year.
>
> Shlomi's version appears to be more advanced, in that it has
> been ported to KDE 4 and Frameworks libraries, but that seems
> to be all.  At a casual reading, it still seems to have the same
> problems that decided us not to port KSokoban to KDE 4, after
> quite a lot of discussion on the KDE Games list.  These were
> some of the reasons:
>
>   1. Unmaintained (no contact with original author/maintainer).
>   2. Obscure code.  Also rather C-like style.
>   3. Outdated Povray-dependent graphics.
>   4. Beginners' levels lost in an earlier update.
>   5. Weird way of loading and accessing data for levels, by
>       compiling them into the object-code somehow.
>   6. Priority allocation of limited KDE Games developer time
>       given to games that were easier to upgrade (e.g. KAtomic).

This is just to note that I can agree with this criticism. Perhaps I'll work on
tackling one or more items out of your list, and other people are welcome to
contribute as well.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/Google-Discontinues-Services/

Becky: Oh my god! Oh my god! Demonology… martial arts… knife throwing…
history of slaying… Latin… and — American History, English, and Drama.
I need juice. [She flails and sits down.]
    — http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Buffy/A-Few-Good-Slayers/