[Kde-games-devel] KMahjongg frameworks branch

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzer at kde.org
Fri Dec 11 14:25:30 UTC 2015

Am Freitag, 11. Dezember 2015, 10:37:20 schrieb Ian Wadham:
> On 10/12/2015, at 8:15 PM, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:

Hi Ian,

> > with respect to kdelibs4support, I read in a thread on this list,
> > where you discussed the use of KIO with Jeremy.
> > https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-games-devel/2015-January/011546
> > .html
> >
> > If I got the correctly, you kind of voted for not keeping the
> > network saving ability in KMahjongg.
>
> I thought I was strongly in favour of using local files only in
> KMahjongg, but with British understatement… :-)  The game
> effectively forces using local files for saves, so why not use the
> file-dialog method that does that? Not "Url" methods.

I did that now in frameworks branch.

> > Of course we could do the same as Umbrello but since KMahjongg can
> > only read from the network, and that network locations for games
> > might be a very rare case, I think it is reasonable to remove
> > network loading/saving abilities.
> >
> > Or does QFileDialog already deliver that? Here it does not show
> > network folders.
>
> Whether QFileDialog supports network saving/loading is
> platform-dependent. See the doco for getSaveFileUrl() and
> getOpenFileUrl() at
> http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qfiledialog.html#getOpenFileUrl

Ah, thanks. Interestingly I read that several weeks ago already but
was focussing on something else so I did not remember that bit. :)

> I think QFileDialog may be purely local on Apple OS X, but the bonus
> is that it gives you a native file dialog (i.e. like file dialogs
> in non-KDE apps) --- much less confusing for the end-user… :-)

Yep. I used get(Save|Open)FileName() now and threw out the url-related
stuff.

Thank you for your input.

Regards,
Frederik