[Kde-games-devel] Tasks for Google Code-In

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 03:50:46 UTC 2014

Hi Anuj,

On 28/11/2014, at 11:15 PM, Anuj Pahuja wrote:
> I was wondering if there could be some KDE Games specific tasks in Google Code-In.
> They could be anything from building a game from source or porting a game to KF5.
> I would like to register as a mentor and wanted to ask for suggestions on possible ideas.

Thanks very much for stepping up!!!  There is a huge list of games
ready to be ported to KF5.  AFAIK Bovo is the only one to be ported, so
far.  I would recommend staying away from the games with larger code
bases until the students have gained some experience with building
from source, etc.

In GSoC 2012 we did some porting to KgSound, QGraphicsView and
KGameRenderer, for which I was the mentor, and some supposedly
simple games (KBounce and KNavalBattle) caused problems.  So it
might also be safest to pick games that have been most recently
written or worked on.  Some of the KDE Games code is very old… :-(

Cheers, Ian W.

P.S. I cannot help this time around, because I work on Apple OS X now
and KF5 is still a closed book in that environment.  One of the KDE-Mac
guys is working on setting up a CI system for Mac OS X, but is currently
stuck fast on trying to get Bovo to run with Frameworks and OS X… :-(