[Kde-games-devel] Anyone can help with manipulating an SVG file?

Alexander Schuch aschuch247 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 16:07:05 UTC 2014

On 5 January 2014 04:51, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/01/2014, at 12:15 AM, Alexander Schuch wrote:
>> So if someone can help to remove that bar, I appreciate it.
>
> Here my Inkscape skills run out. The "screen" object is a "group",
> probably bounded by a transparent rectangle (which is hard to
> select, but useful for handling pixmaps programmatically).  I can
> Object->Ungroup "screen" and move bits and pieces around, then
> re-Group and rename as "screen".  Not sure if that is correct.
>
>> For testing, the -5 and +5 offsets just need to be removed. If the
>> transparent/greyish background still covers the top, it works
>> perfectly. This can be checked easily by having planets in the first
>> row.
>
> I downloaded your patch and tried taking out the -5 and +5. It was hard
> to see the problem.  I had to set up a magnifying glass … ;-)  Are you
> being a teensy bit fussy?  BTW it is there in the horizontally stretched
> view, just harder to see because of the very dark area above it.

If I play with a small board of for example 7x7 and maximise the
window, I can clearly see the "background" not properly covering the
first row.

>> The fixed SVG then can either be attached to my review request, or
>> directly committed to git master - it won't break anything and just
>> the first few lines of the greyish background won't be shown as long
>> as the hack is still present.
>
> I "fixed" the SVG, but strangely the new file is only about 1/10th the size
> of the old.  This could be due to accidental deletions by me or maybe
> more efficient use of SVG and compression by Inkscape.  I can email
> you the file personally if you wish to try it out --- or it might be safest to
> just leave in the -5/+5 hack.

Can you please email me your fixed version?

I don't think you need to worry about the size - the file simply is
not compressed right now. The svgz file in git is about 254 bytes
larger(!) than the uncompressed svg file.

Regards,
Alexander