[Kde-games-devel] May I fix warning messages from the Clang compiler?

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Tue Apr 1 05:30:56 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, April 01, 2014 13:53:56 Ian Wadham wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am getting peppered with unwanted warning messages from
> a new version of the Clang compiler when it is referencing legacy
> Palapeli code [1] and this is making it hard for me to see a genuine
> error message when there is one.
>
> Is it OK to fix these warnings and push them to KDE/4.13 at this
> late stage of the release?
>
> If not, when, in what branches and in what release is it OK to fix them?
>
> Confused, Ian W.
>
> [1]  The following is typical:
>
> [ 28%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/palapeli.dir/engine/scene.o
> In file included from /kdedev/games/palapeli/src/engine/scene.cpp:22:
> /kdedev/games/palapeli/src/engine/piece.h:31:2: warning: struct
> 'PieceVisuals' was previously declared as a class [-Wmismatched-tags]
>         struct PieceVisuals;
>         ^
> /kdedev/games/palapeli/src/engine/piecevisuals.h:47:8: note: previous use is
> here
>         class PieceVisuals
>               ^
> I guess C++ does not care much what is a class and what is a struct, but in
> programming and stylistic terms I think this kind of thing should be fixed.
> Note that I get these messages when I am compiling Scene, not PieceVisuals.

If you ask me then trivial fixes like that should be done ASAP. On the other
hand we really don't want to introduce any bugs into the code base this late
into the release process.

What if you did the fixes in master now and then cherry picked them into the
branch immediately after release?  Would that help your development?

	-Inge