[Kde-games-devel] Gsoc

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue May 28 17:24:19 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, 2013-05-28, Roney Gomes wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > What do you mean by "KDE Games doesn't get the right attention from the
> > KDE community."?
>
> Reduced number of mentors is a sign of that. You can say it happens
> just because people are not interested in the project. That's right,
> and justifies my point. We lack contributors and we need the help of
> the community to fix this problem.

Number of mentors does not necessarily correlate with activness in or
awareness of a project.
For example active members of the sub-community could decide not to apply as a
mentor but as a student, thus skewing the mentor/student ratio, or they could
decide to invest the available time in direct development, etc.

> >> We lack
> >> leadership, we have no goals, we have no measures to attract more
> >> people to us. We had a maintainer, but he disappeared without
> >> explanation and a few ideas and goals have also gone with him.
> >
> > All of that is true. How do we fix it?
>
> Not so simple to answer. But I believe this debate is a good
> beginning. Maybe from here we can begin to address those problems one
> by one; proposing solutions and committing ourselves to work on them.

Regarding leadership and goals: while it is nice to have a concerted effort
along a line by all contributors of a module such as KDE Games, it is IMHO not
a requirement for going forward well.
True, applications which are part of the same module/repository tend to share
a lot of work (code, artwork, etc), but each application can strive on its
own. So it is more about each application team's vision/goals.

> Anyway, you didn't really answer my question as you provided me the
> "where", not "how". I know decisions are taken here and on IRC etc.
> The thing is: we haven't discussed anything in the last months.

Hmm, if you think a topic should be discussed by a wider audience then the
best way forward is to start a respective thread on the mailinglist.

There can be phases when each application team just works on their respective
projec, are mostly satisfied with the state of shared things, but might be
interested in pondering future ideas nevertheless.

> >> How transparent and open about GSoC KDE is?
> >
> > You said you weren't arguing but you are now throwing accusations of not
> > being transparent and open, care to elaborate?
>
> I'm not, at any moment, saying that I should be approved and that I
> believe the decision about it is unfair and so on. I'm not
> complaining.
>
> Raising a doubt is far away from being the same as "throwing an
> accusation". If informations such as numbers of slots available for
> each project, how KDE evaluates the activity of each project during
> GSoC etc. are publicly available, then please, give me a link to it
> and there will be no more questions on this topic.

None of the participating organisation knowns before hand how many slots
Google will assign to them.
KDE usually gets about 150 to 250 proposals, spread across our vast spectrum
of problem domains.

Most proposals can be categorized along the lines of subcommunities, e.g. game
related proposals usually being for programs of KDE Games (but sometimes are
more into the KDE Edu area).

At some point Google asks all organisations to tell them how many slots could
be filled, Google then sends back a number it finds appropriate.

Cheers,
Kevin

FYI: KDE PIM developer monitoring kde-games-devel ;-)
KDE user support, developer mentoring