[Kde-games-devel] Proposal for UI changes in KFourInALine

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu May 16 17:27:08 UTC 2013

El Dimecres, 15 de maig de 2013, a les 22:20:50, Eneko Nieto va escriure:
> Hi,

Hi

> I would want to discuss some changes in KFourInALine's user interface
> before coding them, to receive feedback and to ease the approval of
> the patch.
>
> PRESENT BEHAVIOUR
>  * When you start the game there is a pretty nice "Quick Launch"
> window that let you select some options (who starts, your color, game
> dificulty or two player game). Once you start the first game this
> window cannot be launched again.
>  * After starting first game you must go Settings -> Configure
> KFourInLine to change game options. Here there are more options but
> presented in a totally different way (Starting Player Color, Player
> Names, Black Plays With and Red Plays With, Computer Difficulty, Use
> AI learning).
>  * To play a network game both players need to go Settings -> Network
> Configuration. There both clie   nt and server see the same dialog but
> fields change according to the option selected in first radio button
> (Create a network game or Join a network game).
>  * Players can select Keyboard or Mouse as control method. If Keyboard
> selected you must type from 1 to 7 to drop chip.
>
> PROPOSED BEHAVIOUR
>  * Create an unique dialog with all options (new game, options and
> network game). Behaviour should be something like this:
>     - A tab selector or similar in the top: Human vs Computer, Human
> vs Human, Network Game (and Computer vs Computer? It's funny to see
> your computer playing against itself, it remembers to WarGames :) ).
>     - If Human vs Computer selected: Player name, Player color, Who
> startts (add random option), Computer Difficulty, Use AI learning.
>     - If Human vs Human selected: Player1 name, Player1 color, Who
> starts (add random option), Player2 name, Player2 color.
>     - If Network game selected: two panels, the first for server
> (Player name, Player color,  Who starts, Game name and port) and the
> other for the client (Player name, Host, Port and Game name). Another
> option is to split this in two tabs, Create game and Join Game.
>     - If Computer vs Computer selected: Computer1 Difficulty,
> Computer2 Difficulty, Who starts (add random option), Use AI learning
> (I don't know how if this option works in C vs C).

This means removing the quick start thing?

>  * Create a Play again button to play again maintaining options. The
> New button should launch the new dialog now.

This doesn't seem to how most of our games do, as far as i remember, most have
the options on the options menu and "New Game" just starts a new game. Not
sure it makes sense to change it just for one game.

>  * Delete input method for players to clean up UI. Both should be able
> to use keyboard and mouse in their turn. Undo function is implemented
> to solve if you drop other player's chip by mistake.

Makes sense, don't see the need to limit just to one input method.

Cheers,
  Albert